Friday 7 March 2014

From Nikon to Olympus



Hi all!
It's been a while since my last post. I had to make a big decision at the end of the year 2013 on whether I should invest more on lenses to my Nikon system or to make a jump to the Olympus system. At that time I had already own a few lenses and accessories like speedlights and battery grip which was just purchased in November 2013. I was pretty satisfied with my then entry level Nikon D3200 camera but after using it for 6 months or so, you can say I have out grown it. I still love the colour renditions of the Nikon unit but due to my age and the weight of the system, I find it hard for me to bring those gears to my shooting locations which includes a lot of walking and hiking. My main transport to those rural and hard to reach places is my faithful Yamaha scooter so hauling a big camera bag with accessories and the tripod was difficult and tiring. 
Then I read a lot of reviews regarding the Olympus micro four third's system which is light and compact. The thing that starts me off was the Olympus Pen Ep2. The self portrait above was shot with it using the 45mm f1.8 lens at quite far a distance by my wife. I had to cropped this image so I looked bigger in the frame. The Olympus Pen Ep2 was sold to me at a bargain price together with the kit lens 14-42mm and also an external speedlight  was supposed to be sold separately at 1/4 of the original price. So with this camera I took it out to my favourite shooting locations and after seeing the results, I knew it would be the system for me. Then at the end of the year 2013 three days before Christmas, there was a big drop in price for the Olympus OMD EM5 and I am sold. I traded in all my Nikon gears in exchanged for the Olympus.
No regrets!
I have been shooting which it extensively for the past two months and I can tell you this....fantastic! It does what my Nikon did and even betters it in a lot of ways. I love to do HDR bracketing shots and this camera gives me the options  to do 2 to 7 bracketed exposure's images which is more than I ever need. You can get details about this camera from other websites so I will not be talking about it much here. Just look at the images above and you can judge it yourself. 
The first image above was shot just yesterday with  5 exposures bracketing and processed in Photomatix Pro and refined in another software. The second image is direct out of camera art filtered jpeg. Look at the dynamic range of the camera....unbelievable!
Of course there is now the flagship Olympus OMD EM1 which is another fantastic camera but it is of my budget for the moment. It's almost priced at the same levels to the Sony A7 full frame mirrorless camera so it will be out of reach to many avid photographers and with that kind of price many would opt for the Sony instead.
Anyway, the point of my blog this time round is to show that good images from any photographers may not have come from very expensive cameras, be it full frame, APS-C or micro four thirds or even a point and shoot compact cameras. It all depends on your needs and styles. As they always said the best camera is the ones with you, just make sure you bring it everywhere you go so you don't miss those shots.
Here's the thing, to bring it everywhere you go means it has to be small enough. I can't do that with the Nikon, that why I made this important decision to jump to the Olympus micro four thirds system so that I don't loose those important shots.
That is all for this time. Hope you enjoy those images above and the ones I had posted throughout the year.
If you have any questions, feel free to write to me! Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment